As far as twin births are concerned, this one was oddly very normal. They like to deliver twins between 35-38 weeks and I made it all the way to 38. The nurses and doctors helping out were very surprised how far we all made it- and really the boys would have stayed in longer if they had a choice. On Nov. 29th the doctor said we could set the date to get induced- so we got scheduled for Dec. 6th which would be exactly 38 weeks (they wouldn’t let me go earlier…) On Dec. 2nd I go in for another check-up and he said I was dilated to a 3 and 90% effaced and said I won’t make it through the weekend. This was scary because I was still teaching that week and didn’t have things ready for the sub. Turns out I made it through the weekend and they called Monday to tell me that I am scheduled to be induced on Tuesday and it could be as early as 6 am and as late as noon but they are not sure when- just be ready. So I woke up at 5, got ready, fell back asleep and woke up to a phone call at 9 am telling me to come in and have my babies. I don’t know why, but I was very very nervous to get that phone call. It meant it’s really happening. We (me, my mom, and Eric) check in at 10am at the American Fork Hospital. They start the Pitocin a little after 11am (this starts the labor). At noon I’m dilated to a 4 and then an hour later they give me my epidural. WOW. I loved that part. I didn’t do so well with an IV…..there may have been tears… but after the epidural everything was easy. Then we finally chose their names somewhere around this time but we still were unsure about middle names. Somewhere in here the doctor broke my water. They kept checking me throughout the day and I moved fast. They had to lower the dosage of Pitocin because I was dilating too fast. At 5pm I am dilated fully and 100% effaced. The nurse told me that I would start pushing in the delivery room but they would have to move me to the O.R. once I was close. I told her I felt like they are going to fall out and didn’t want to push until they rolled me into the O.R. So they put me in there which is somewhat sad because the only person allowed back there was my husband so my mom still has yet to see any of her grandkids be born (they deliver all twins in the O.R. in case of an emergency C-section). We still were not sure if we would do vaginal or c-section- we were just playing it by ear. So they tell me to start pushing at 6pm and I push for a while until 2 doctors come in- 1 to catch the babies and 1 to watch them on an ultrasound to see if one flips (them already being head down). Out comes Bruce at 7:14pm at 5 lbs 14 oz and 17.5 inches. And then Roy 39 minutes later at 6 lbs 9 oz and 19 inches. I don’t remember much about labor- I fell asleep in between contractions and had to be woken up to push. We are grateful about how perfect everything went (not having to have a c-section/healthy perfect babies/etc.) One thing that has sucked is that I tore my hipflexor muscle during labor and it inflamed and cut off the nerves in my right thigh. This made it so that I couldn’t walk for a while and every time I tried to walk I would fall. I have made much progress and can carry them and walk- except when I wear high heels…
Anyways, our babies are perfect and handsome and well over 8 lbs each now. I tried to stuff them in their premie outfits but couldn’t- which made me a little sad. We get like 4 hours a sleep a night. If anyone was curious, two babies is incredibly hard. I mean like the hardest thing I have ever done. But the most wonderful.



5 comments:
I am so glad everything went well for you. I want to come see your little bundles, they are adorable!! Did they ever get middle names?
congrats!! We are so happy for you two! I bet those cute little boys are keeping you SUPER busy! We would love to get to see them when things settle down for you guys let us know!
they are adorable, and I am so happy for you!! I hope all is going well!!
Just wanted to know I'm blog stalking you. The boys are adorable. It was so good to see you at the school the other day. So glad everything went so well. Take care and try to get some sleep!
Congrats, looking forward to seeing the Nephews! You know I was just looking at your picture on the front of your blog and realized that your dad has a striking resemblance to Mike Novak on 24. Weird that I would notice such a thing, but Heidi and I are on a 24 marathon right now. See you guys in a couple few days.
Scott
Post a Comment